Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Book of Mormon: 1 Nephi 20

Greetings, faithful readers and studiers, and welcome to this long awaited next post.  I confess, like most who study the Book of Mormon, I tend to stall out when I get to the chapters “comparable with Isaiah.”  As you see, given the amount of time that has come between 1 Nephi 19 and 1 Nephi 20, it happened to me again.  Much of the intervening time between this chapter and the past one has been spent in trying to figure out how to handle it.  Should I cover it either on its own merits or as it relates to the Book of Mormon thus far or should I skip it and cover it later when I start to tackle the Bible (which, by the way, I do intend to cover at a later date)?  After a good deal of prayer and pondering, I’ve decided to go ahead and cover 1 Nephi 20 in as many ways as the Spirit directs, as it relates to me personally, since Nephi mentioned in the previous chapter that he “liken[s] all scriptures unto [himself and his people] that it might be for [their] profit and learning (1 Nephi 19: 23).”  I should also mention that a friend of mine pointed out that, as 1 Nephi ends shortly after the two quotations of Isaiah, I might as well cover them.  That made a certain amount of sense.  So, my friend, you know who you are.  Thank you for your suggestion.  Please bear in mind that the following is my personal interpretation.  If your interpretation is different, please leave it in the comments section below.  Here goes.
To begin with, Isaiah talks about the people of Israel.  He says that they continue to swear by the name of the God of Israel but don’t do so righteously.  He says that they seem to think that, since they live in the Holy City of Jerusalem and are part of the race of people He calls His, that they don’t have to keep His commandments.  In other words, the Lord will always help them, regardless of the state of their personal righteousness.  Isaiah told them off for this because it is contrary to the Word of the Lord in the scriptures and from the mouths of the prophets.  (v1-2)
The Lord has provided us with plenty of evidence to believe the words he gives us.  In these scriptures, Isaiah mentions several of these and tells why they were needed
  1. They were declared suddenly because he knew we were obstinate and stubborn.
  2. They were given to us from the beginning so we couldn’t declare that our idols provided them.
  3. We were shown new and hidden things, created now so we can’t say “I already knew that.”
The Lord loves us the way a good father does.  He loves us knowing we’ll screw up and knowing we’ll deserve his wrath.  He gives us prophecies and warnings, trying to shine a light into the fog so that we’ll be able to see where our next steps should go.  Because we continue to call on his name and ask for his support, his rage is deferred.  However, we must realize that sometimes trials must come, so that our faith will be purified, like silver in the refiners fire.  In particular, he loves his prophets, who declare these necessary words to us.  They speak to us with the Lord’s voice.  He has promised that those whom he has called into his service will be supported.   As for the wicked, they will know no peace.
Resources: Book of Mormon Student's Study Guide

Applying the Scriptures to My Life
Thinking about these words, I can remember a few times in my life that I thought it didn't matter how I behaved simply because I was a Mormon.  This is not the case.  The prophets have often said that we were required to be examples and missionaries to our brothers and sisters who haven’t received the gospel.  We have been promised that we will receive support if we spread the word.  Also, we have been asked to study the scriptures daily.  They contain the Word of the Lord.  There is no reason why we shouldn't partake of this lasting feast.  You can’t gain physical weight by partaking of a spiritual feast and there’s nothing wrong with gaining spiritual weight.  Most of us, spiritually, are pitifully thin.  I admit it, I’m one of those.  Anyway, thanks for reading this.  I hope I haven’t babbled too much and I’ll be back tomorrow with the next chapter.
God be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment